pregnancy calendar

Friday, July 16, 2010

Let's Get Healthy!


How is it going ladies? I am going by fits and starts. It seems like it is going to take some time to get back into the swing of this. I do good tracking part of the day and then have something I don't know what the points would be, so I guess. Then yesterday I did great tracking and had extra points for icecream, but it didn't get measured and so maybe I went over? But that is where the bonus points in WW comes in. So overall I am already seeing changes on the scale.


I went over to Curves the other day. I had been putting off doing my measurements for awhile and was due to have it done anyways. I thought the first day of this would be a great time to have a baseline. The depressing thing was seeing my numbers from 2 years ago...um, we won't go there! Let's just say I have alot of work ahead of me!


Last night at the grocery store I was walking around with my points calculator trying to find the most "bang for my buck" and get the lowest points. Stefanie thought it was hilarious. I told her lots of people do this, and she just laughed and said, "How many people do you see doing this in the store right now?" Then it was really funny how excited I got when I found a snack bar for 1 point and started telling it "I love ya!" But, really I find it helpful to have snacks around for between meals that I know are lowcal. Baby carrots, Lowfat string cheese, grapes, the one point bars, etc. My favorite late night snack (not healthy mind you) is the 1 point WW fudge bars. And the Sara Lee 45 calorie bread is 2 slices for 1 point. Not all this is what I would call the most healthy, but I figure losing the weight IS healthy.


Tonight we are celebrating birthdays so we are having a Weight Watchers Warm Chocolate Pudding Cake. It is 165 calories (4 points) per serving. If any of you would like the recipe let me know.


Ladies, I was thinking, here we are trying to do this challenge. We are highly motivated and say "Let's do this!" But, ultimately we can only do this if the Lord blesses us. I am keenly aware of this right now because I am on meds that might make it extra hard for the weight to be shed. We need to pray for each other! That is what support is all about.


On a legistical side, I think I should try to just post one blog post a week (on Wed if I can) on Let's Get Healthy. BUT, what I would really like is to be back and forth with LOTS of comments through the week on that post. We can have tons of conversations through the comments section. I can be sharing alot more through the week that way. So comment, comment, comment. Make sure you check the box for you to get follow up comments through your email. And be checking back here often.


May the Lord bless our journey!

11 comments:

The Mom said...

Hi Jenny, I'm following your progress. I need to loose about 20 pounds as well, but my willpower is about zero right now. Maybe you will inspire me!

I have the typical problems of a busy mom, I don't plan what I'm going to eat, I don't sit down at the table to eat, I get hungry cos I've missed a meal and fill up on junk (and with six teenagers our house is full of chips and chocolate), and I find it really hard to find time to exercise.

Oh, and I don't drink enough water; and I don't get enough sleep - both things apparently affect your ability to lose weight.

Sigh, it is so easy to know in your head what you ought to do, but quite a lot harder to do it, esp when real life intervenes.

Love
Hx

SpringMeadowsMama said...

H, I feel with you! Maybe we can inspire you to take baby steps! <3

Anonymous said...

Hey it's me Reederbunch.

Fridays have ALWAYS been my weigh in day, and today is Friday! To my surprise, the scale was down! I realize I only have 15 lbs to get to my first goal weight. Woo Hoo!

SpringMeadowsMama said...

Yah Reederbunch!

Lora Lease said...

I'd love any recipes others want to share, along with names of lower point foods (like the snack bars! hint hint). :) We're between pay periods, so I'm just using what's in the house for now (soo... lots of carrots, which I'm not enjoying too much). I am having fun making up my next grocery list though!

I started doing the points thing yesterday, and did alright. Drank lots of water & stayed within my points. I'm curious how the bonus points work? My stuff didn't have any info on those.

Becky said...

I took my baby on her first stroller ride tonight, we walked a mile.

SpringMeadowsMama said...

Lora,
The snack bars were fiber one 90 calories, but my sister said she found another one. Do you have a point counter. Bring it with you to your groceries snack bar isle.

Here is the recipe for Warm Chocolate Pudding Cake

3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup + 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon instant coffee (or expresso powder)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 salt
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1 Tablespoon butter melted
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 2/3 cups boiling water

Stir dry ingredients (except the brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa)and then add the wet ingredients. Stir until just blended. Spoon the batter into pan, Combine brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the batter. Gently pour the boiling water in a zigzag fashion over the top; do not stir. Bake at 350 in a 9 inch pan until the top is set (about 35 mins) Cool at least 30 mins. 1 square is 3 points (165 Cal.)

I topped this with lowfat coolwhip which probably added a point.
It is extremely rich but yummy dessert!
Lora,
The bonus points are 30 extra points that you can use per week however you want. Some use a few extra each day, others save it for a special outing, or if you want to lose faster you don't have to use it at all. But you cannot move the 30 bonus points from week to week, they start over each week.

SpringMeadowsMama said...

Just did 2 miles of power walking with Leslie Sansone and I know it worked me harder than Curves! Wow! I am sweatin'...and smellin'!

Lora Lease said...

Going to have to pick out my own take out from now on. LOL My hubby went to Taco Bell to get us those $2 meals. To make it easier, he just got us all the same thing. I looked up all the info online, and the 5 layer burritos are TWELVE points (and it was pretty small sized too)! Eeeeek!! So, for lunch today, I had half a 5 layer burrito, gave the chips to one of our teens, and had a salad I put together on the side, spritzed with an almost no-cal vinaigrette. I ate that burrito super slooooooooow. LOL I hope dinner is a bit more filling (eating at a church thing, and have no idea what will be served). :)

Lora Lease said...

Here are a couple highly rated WW recipes I'll be making this week:

Baked Shrimp in Lemony Garlic Sauce

1 1/4 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Cooking Spray
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 T light butter, melted
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3/4 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
2 T chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 425. Arrange shrimp in a single layer in a 13x9 baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine lemon juice and next 5 ingredients; pour over shrimp. Bake at 425 for 8-10 minutes or until shrimp are done. Sprinkle parsley over shrimp; serve immediately.
YIELD: 4 servings (serving size: 3 ounces shrimp and 2 T sauce) POINTS: 3

********************************

Hot Spinach-Artichoke Dip

1 T light butter
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
1 (8 oz) can sliced water chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped
1 (14 oz) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
1 (8 oz) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
1 (8 oz) carton reduced-fat sour cream
1 cup pre-shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, divided
1 tsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Add spinach, water chestnuts, and artichoke; saute 2 minutes. Add cream cheese, sour cream, 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, and next 3 ingredients. Spoon into an 11x7" baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with baked tortilla chips or slices of French bread. YIELD: 18 servings (serving size: 1/4 cup)
Points: 2

SpringMeadowsMama said...

Last night Reederbunch had us over for dinner and she fixed this recipe below for us. It was good and was only 6 points for a huge piece! Thought ya'll might enjoy the recipe too.

Here is the where she got the recipe if anyone wants to check out the website. http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/07/mexican-lasagna-or-enchilada-casserole.html

Mexican Lasagna (or Enchilada Casserole)


1/2 large green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
corn tortillas–at least 12
3 cups (28 ounces) fatfree refried beans
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 tsp. chili powder, divided
1/2 tsp. cumin, divided
3 cups black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup salsa
1 can enchilada sauce (or 1 1/2 cups homemade)
sliced black olives

Preheat oven to 375 F.

In a non-stick pan with a little water (1 tbsp.), sauté the peppers, garlic, and onion for about 3 minutes, or until softened. Set aside.

Spray a 9 X 13-inch baking pan with non-stick spray. Line the bottom with a layer of tortillas (you may cut some of them to fit). Make sure you cover the entire bottom of the pan.

Stir the refried beans and spread half of them evenly over the tortillas. Cover the refried beans with half of the pepper-onion mixture and half of the tomatoes; sprinkle with half of the seasonings and half of the black beans.

Add another layer of tortillas and repeat the layers of the other ingredients. Spread the cup of salsa over the final layer of black beans. Cover with a final layer of tortillas, pour the enchilada sauce over the top, and sprinkle with black olives. Cover and bake for about 30 minutes or until hot throughout. It will be easier to cut if you allow it to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.

Note: Fresh corn is a great addition to this. I use about 2 cups of uncooked (or frozen) corn and add it as one more layer. You may need a deeper pan, though.

Makes about 8 large servings. Each serving contains 319 Calories (kcal); 5g Total Fat; (13% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 56g Carbohydrate; 9mg Cholesterol; 601mg Sodium; 14g Fiber. Weight Watchers 6 Flex points.