pregnancy calendar

Thursday, November 5, 2009

My children are growing up...



For B's 9th birthday a friend gave her a copy of this cookbook. It is filled with colorful pages with wonderful explanations about cooking and baking basics. Then just the other day, Daddy mentioned that it was time for the girls to maybe start taking a load off me, one night a week and do supper. Of course, we will start simple when they actually go at it alone. But, I think the girls will do quite well.

So, I decided that I would go ahead and pick out a full meal for B to make for us all, with me helping her step by step and training her along the way. She is making: Pork and Bacon Pasta, Tomato and Mozzarella Salad, and Shortbread for dessert. I let E help B and I with the dessert this morning. They had so much fun learning how to make shortbread and the house smells so yummy now! B and I are going to work on the main meal this afternoon when the littles are down for their naps, and the remaining children busy.

Working with the measuring cups and spoons, and cooking basics is great math and science for her. Makes me think about Alton Brown on Good Eats. Ever watch that show? FASCINATING! He actually shows you the science behind why you do what you do in cooking. What is happening on a molecular structure when you boil this or that.
In other news...
My son has gotten his own gmail account. Did I just write that? Yes, my baby is now online. It's been wonderful to see him enjoy chatting with his dad during the day, or emailing his Grandma. I have started sending him "motherly letters" giving him words of wisdom and little secret projects that are between us and him, that he can do to bless his siblings, etc. He is enjoying it. And it is great to see his typing skills getting faster and faster. I do not want to publically share his email up on the web, but if you would like to write to him, post a comment here or email me and I will give you his email address.

So thats the news today, for Thurs. Nov. 5th, 2009

No comments: