S sometimes gets the question, "Does your wife work?" His answer is, "Yes!" We are in a society that thinks a homemaker is second class.."She is just a housewife". The stereotype is a woman eating her bon-bons,watching soap operas all day long. She gets to stay home while the men really do the work of society. But, the scripture certainly holds up a higher standard and what could be more important than raising the next generation, keeping the domestic circle flowing within the society, keeping the home fires burning? Sadly, the home fires have gone out and where is the touchpoint of society? Mom is not there anymore. I was thinking of this today as I was being pulled in all directions. I heard "Mommy, I need help!" from several places all at once. Here are a few things that represent my day...
Breakfast for everyone
Clean-up the kitchen
Lead in family worship- speak about submission to God and others
Oversee chores getting done
Help my littles coloring a page for their alphabet book
Go behind and swiffer the floor a little more after my child has finished
Print out school pages for the ones that need it
Help my daughter with her math
Make a pot of chili for dinner
Encourage my son that he CAN do his math
Help my daughter with her math again
Help my little girl zipper up her coat to go outside
Help my son put on his coat to go outside
pick up after my 3yo who dumped out the contents of a bin
Print out a few coupons to be used in shopping
Show my son how to hold a deck of cards to shuffle
Keep track in our record book of the school getting done
Tell my daughters to get started on their latin review
Work some more on the chili
Make a couple phone calls about details for tonight
Clean my son up in the tub after he stepped in doggy mess
Lay two little ones down for nap
and this is a laid-back lighter day as we ease back into school.
Sure, someone else could teach my child math. I could send my littles to have someone else care for them. But, I want my son to remember that Mommy was the one who first showed him how to shuffle a deck of cards. I want them to look to me for a smile of approval, not their daycare worker. I want to kiss them as I lay them down for naps. Now, maybe someone else could clean up from stepping in the doggy mess. Seriously, I am blessed even when the "Mommy" calls are coming fast and furious.
Am I am working woman? You better believe I am!

2 comments:
My answer to that question is "No, I am not currently in paid employment".
(Then sometimes I add - "But do you really think I sit at home all day doing nothing but watch TV?")
Since I have a large family by UK standards; and I home school (which is rare by UK standards) most people would acknowledge that I probably "do work".
But a SAHM is still such even if she only has one or two children, and even if they go to school.
Our society places no value on the work done by SAHMs.
Love to you and yours - can you pm me your postal address?
Hx
I needed this kind of post today. There is so little encouragement in the world for mommies trying to live up to the Biblical standard, or just being a stay at home mom even!
Post a Comment