Recently I read a book called Homeschooling: A Patchwork of Days. It was the journal of 30 homeschool families, sharing a day in their home. I really enjoyed reading the diversity of how each of the families played out homeschooling in their home. I thought today maybe I would keep a record of some of the events of our day...and give you "A day at the E household." So here goes...
I wake up to hearing one of the children. Is it morning already? D climbs in bed with me with his red blanket. J comes in with his blanket around his shoulders with a sleepy good morning smile. Time to start a new day. I climb out of bed, put on my robe and head to the kitchen. I make my usual cup of coffee, maybe slightly taller cause I think I will need it today.
I tell J that he can get out the breakfast and start those that are up. We are having strawberry yogurt and toast this morning. I head into the bedroom to have some time with the Lord. E would rather sit and read books with H in my room quietly while I am reading and praying. She goes in the closet so she can sound the words outloud as she looks at them. Part way through H decides she does want to join those that are eating. When I am through I head into the kitchen to eat some breakfast too. E wants a "private breakfast" with me. I don't think that is too likely at the this point. But, for a brief time as the others head off to begin their duties, I whisper to E, "We have our private breakfast". She smiles.
At this point W is emptying the dishwasher and J is doing his math. It is nice when he gets a head start because his math takes the longest. I now go in to get dressed and ready for the day. When I come out W is ready to start his math. The girls want to make some tea, so I take a moment to make three cups of chamomile tea with some honey and non-dairy creamer in there. They think that is a big treat! :)
I head into the schoolroom to check my email. I have an email from my local grocery store with printable coupons, I try to print one out, but accidently hit the button on my keyboard that powers down the whole computer. I give up for now.
A brief call to my dear husband and it is now time for family worship. I call everyone to "positions". Sometimes I sing the work "positions" to the tune of the Fiddler on the Roof song, "Tradions". So you might hear me singing. "Positioonnsss...Positions!!" Everyone comes into the living room and is seated. Well, sometimes that takes more time then it might seem. And you know, the reminders of no toys in our hands, sit up straight, calm down now, no you sit there-not here, where is...? But, eventually we are all ready. We have been memorizing Ps 34 together in the metrical version. So we sing the last few verses on that. We are reading in Ezra right now.
After family worship I put on a video for my two little ones. Today they are going to watch Wall-E. I go into the schoolroom and print out the math sheets for the girls. I really like this website I can make up different math worksheets, and also this one which I have been using as well. Today E is going to do a simple addition sheet, also she is filling in a hundred number chart, using a chart that is already filled in. I am going to read with her first before she does math though.
I start B on her math and call E in to read with me. She is doing so well in her reading! She just finished her first reader in the Pathway Publisher series. Today she reads to me out of the Christian Liberty Press phonics reader series. W is reading his book now as well, having finished his math earlier. J is now on the computer working on his essay that he has been typing out. He is doing an instructional essay, and he chose "How to make a knife" as his topic. He is just about through with it.
I am finished reading with E, so I assign her the math pages I prited out for her. I tell W to finish the chapter he is on in his book, because I am ready to help him on his English. I take a few minutes to log in my homeschool record book, what has been done so far today. B heads in to do her reading in her Pathway Publisher Reader at some point. W and I sit down to do his English. He is doing a compare/contrast essay. He chose for his topic to write about watercolor vs pencil sketching. We have to go through today and do some revising.
When we finish this, I tell W he can now have a break. I head over to the computer where I now help J with his essay. I show him how to use "tab" on the computer, and how he needs to put his proper spacings when he types. We go through his paper, putting a space after each comma, and two spaces after each period. Why does it excite me so much to teach them things that are so simple? Maybe because I realize these are tools he will use his whole life?
Now it is time for a break for everyone. They run outside to play. Well, some of them do. Some have to be more encouraged than others to go out. I take that time to go in and make my bed, throw a load in the wash, look at what is next to do in our history, and start on lunch. We are having macaroni and cheese today. I know, not the healthiest, but I do make a plate of organic apples. :)
As the noodles are boiling I call the children back inside for some history. We are using Mystery of History and are really enjoying it. Along with MoH though, there are other resources that work along with it. So today we are reading in The Story of the World. We read about the Pharoah Cheops and how he would have been mummified. We discuss how silly their superstitious beliefs were in Egypt. Why is it silly to bury your boat, or clothes, or toys with you? Can we be good enough to get into heaven? The children draw pictures as I read and the boys enjoy making theirs into a comic type page, with the mummy driving his boat into the afterlife. It is amazing how the little children can grasp how silly these superstitions are.
It's time for lunch now, and as we eat I read our newest readaloud. We just finished one about the early settlers as they went west to explore new lands. It was full of pioneer excitement and even Indian kidnapping, all with a Christian worldview. This time we are reading a biographical book called "Carry on Mr Bowditch" Nathaniel Bowditch was an amazing mathematician who was a sailor. Since we are following Zac on his journey around the world in a yahcht, it seemed a good time to read this and learn all about life at sea. I printed out a list of nautical terms in case we need them, but the book we are reading explains alot as you go along.
After lunch I let the children go back outside. Some days I have them do chores and help me clean up. But, today is so very lovely outside, I excuse them to play. Of course, they are thrilled and head out quickly. I clean up from lunch,mop up the floor (No, I don't usually do that!) try to make a quick call, switch the laundry, and lay out what the children still have to do for their schoolwork today. I print out a cursive sheet for W's practice from this website.
It's so pretty outside, like I mentioned. It has been really a cold November, but now we have had a warming trend and today is spectacular, even warm. I head out to enjoy a few minutes of it, and go out to see the children's work. As I head out, I hear "Mama's coming!!" They have been making an indian encampment, and I must say I was impressed! They have made their own teepee and firepit area. Oh the fun they are having setting it all up! They were about to head down to the creek for some water when they saw me coming. I sent W back up to the house for the camera and had them all pose for this picture I am putting up here on the blog.
It now was time for the two littles to go down for naps and the others to finish up their work. I wash up the two littles and tuck them in. D protests "But, I am not tired!" After I shut the door, he calls me back "Goodnight and God Bless and I love you!" he says.
The four others have their schoolwork to do now that I have written out for them. J reads in his book "Cat of Bubastes" It is a G.A Henty historical fiction, set in Egypt. It goes perfectly with our history. He also does some of his Bob Jones Life Science. To finish off (actually right now as I am typing) he is doing another chapter in his logic book. It is called The Fallacy Detective, 36 lessons on how to recognize bad reasoning.
W has cursive practice to do, and then he is reading in a book called Weather Forecaster for his science. He still has a few minutes of math lecture to finish later today when I am off the computer.
R has her scripture copywork that she is working on. She daily writes a little bit more out of the account of Rebekah in Genesis. She does some more math as well and then reads to Emily their science book.
E writes in her journal (I am having her write today about how pretty it is outside) and listens to R read in the science book to her.
I take this time now to type this blog, briefly chat with my husband through instant messenger, check email, etc. D wakes up, I don't think he slept long enough, but that's all the rest he will get for now. I sent the girls back in to read some more science, they got too hasty and reread some pages they had already read. After they are finished they all head back out to their wigwam. :)
I go into the kitchen and wash and cut the sweet potatoes, add some water to the bottom of the pot and put it in the oven. I won't turn on the oven for about an hour yet, but at least they are ready. I switch the laundry again but don't put in any new clothes now.
I rented a movie yesterday that I had told them if they were really diligent in their work this morning they could watch this afternoon. So, I call the children in and we all sit down to watch "Benji". I have a little rule though, as we watch we have to fold laundry till it is done! :)
Just as the movie is nearly through, S comes home! It's the highlight of his day when they all come running to daddy! After he changes his clothes and the last 5 mins of the movies is done, he heads outside with the children. His plan is to have them clean out the van with him. I take his car and head into town to go to Curves. On the way, I stop at a couple of places to get a few grocery items and misc. I then get to the gym for my workout. Back home as the family is just getting ready to sit down for dinner. Whole Foods sells some really nice premade salmon patties, that I had planned with the sweet potatoes and a green vegetable. S and W came up with a recipe that was delicious! They took the patties fried them in butter, and then covered them with a can of clam chowder soup..a few more spices and yummy!
After dinner, S oversaw the boys cleanup the kitchen. I looked at a couple of books witht the little ones, while overseeing the girls putting away some laundry. J tonight expressed some concern (after reading in his science today about being a carrier of certain health problems) of marrying someone who might be color blind! :)
After teeth were brushed,it was family worship time, then off to bed for the girls and two littles. The boys trade off having math class with Daddy. Tonight is W's night so they are having math class right now. J is doing some reading. They will both head to bed when math is done.
I am now finishing up this post, and am planning on heading soon for the shower. After the children are all in bed, S and I will have some time together before heading to bed ourselves.
It's been a busy day. In some ways busier than some days. I think the fact that I was writing this motivated me somewhat. :) I am sure the little extra coffee didn't hurt either. I certainly do not usually mop the floor in the middle of the day. My house right now is quite messy. But, I am very thankful for another day in the life of the E family.
I would love to hear details about many of your days. Give us a run-down of a day at your house. Send me an email with your routine, or schedule at springmeadowssc@gmaildotnet or if you have a blog in which you post it, write it in the comments section here below. For now then, Goodnight!

No comments:
Post a Comment