.gif)
We stayed up late last night to watch the women's figure skating finals. It's a good thing these things only occur every 4 years, because it is very contraindicated (hey, we just learned the latin root to that word!) for my new Dr's orders to be in bed earlier. I am doing so much better at turning in at normal people's times...until well, we won't go there. Seriously though, earlier bed is really radical for us...and has been doing us alot of good.
Back to the figure skating though. I think it interesting that they tease us with a skater here and there and then go back to the boring stuff till really late. THEN when it's bedtime, they have the uninterrupted skating. Pretty sneaky if you ask me. I have to say SOME of the skiing can be a little interesting. I thought it quite cute when the chinese man clapped his hands and did a little hop before his big ariel flips. It made me want him to win, just because of that.
Which brings up the point that it is very good that I am not an Olympic judge. You see, if I were the judge...
--that little hop and clap would have earned points in his total scores...
--the woman who lost her mother the day before the olympics would have gotten a gold medal (because it would mean so much!) I was so happy she did medal though...my heart goes out to her!
--the ladies who fell on the ice, would have been given a retry. I mean, think how you would feel.
--in fact, no one who came to the olympics would have left without a medal...at least a medal for "good effort".
Yes, I see it is good that I am not an olympic judge. Hmm, now let's see..how does this apply to my mothering?
On a serious note, it does break my heart to think of how these men and women's lives are consumed with training and all pointed to this event. Their families lives revolve around it too. Especially the mommies out there, I am sad for their children. There was a woman skier yesterday who when asked about her friend (another skier) that had just died responded..It just shows me that it's all about...skiing. What? I expected her to say, that it showed her that the skiing was really nothing and it was about her family, or relationship with the Lord.
Check out this article...food for thought.


No comments:
Post a Comment