pregnancy calendar

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Pride and Prejudice


My dear husband and I have been on a "Pride and Prejudice" marathon. Neither one of us had read the book or seen either one of the movies. First, we rented from the library the newer, shorter version with Keira Knightley. We really enjoyed it. But, we heard that the longer one was even better, so a friend loaned us the five hour epic movie with Colin Firth. Yes, we agree the older, longer version is the better of the two. For some reason we now seem to discourse between us using the fine,stately, Old English style. If you were in our home last night, you would have heard quite a bit of giggling coming from our bedroom, as we each tried to outdo the other with our elegant language. I must say, my husband can outdo me any day. Even today our emails back and forth have been very funny. It shows me how much we have lost in our casual society.

Today I typed up a few analogies that I drew from the movie between Christ and His bride, the church. Here briefly are some of my thoughts...


Mr.Darcy went way below his rank and station, stooped to claim a bride of the lower class.
So Christ took upon Himself the form of a Servant and had His heart set on a bride not worthy.

Mr.Darcy redeemed the family back through a very great sum to win his bride. He paid a great sum to spare the family from shame, out of love for his bride. He even took care of the debts of one so very wretched.
So Christ is our Redeemer, when we were in the shameful state, out of love for His bride, He paid the ransom, fulfilling the debt for ones so unworthy.

Lady Catherine employed all her ability to object to the union, heaping condemnation and guilt on Lizzie that she was not worthy of the union.
So the devil heaps condemnation upon Christ's bride to make them feel unfit.

Mr.Darcy was misunderstood and he was despised by Lizzie at the first.
So Christ's visage was so marred. He was despised and rejected of men. Before He opens our eyes we do not see Him as lovely, indeed we despise Him.

Mr.Darcy appeared to despise Lizzie at first.
So our Lord says, "For a small moment have I forsaken thee, but with great mercies will I gather thee"

Mr. Darcy commented much upon Lizzie's eyes
So Christ says to His bride "thou hast ravished my heart with one of thine eyes,"

Mr. Darcy's estate overwhelmed Elizabeth with it's grandeur.
So Christ goes to prepare a place for us. "In My Father's house are many mansions".

Of course, the analogy breaks down in the fact that our Lord Jesus is pure, sinless and perfect in holiness.

Thus, my analogy has concluded and without further ado, I bid you good evening.

1 comment:

Kelly @ Wisdom Begun said...

My hubby and I watch both versions often! I grew up watching the BBC version. I used to like it better of the two, but now I prefer the Keira Knightley version. :-)

Miss you!